If you have aromatic plants in your rooms, you will remove the mosquitoes. Basil is usually used in gardens to remove insects, thanks to its strong smell.
Natural remedies to remove mosquitoes
In this article we will explain some of the most effective recipes to repel the annoying mosquitoes, which can ruin a quiet evening or a dinner in the backyard. The fantastic thing is that these mosquito repellents are made with natural ingredients and are very easy to prepare at home, therefore, they are also good for children or if you suffer from allergies.
Repellent to cloves
It is said to be the most effective repellent against mosquitoes. You will need a baby shampoo, 1 liter of water and 30 cloves. Put the cloves in the water, drain and pour the shampoo until you have obtained a homogeneous mixture. Apply to the skin in areas most exposed to insects (arms, face, legs and feet).
For this recipe you will need 250 grams of eucalyptus leaves and a 1 liter of water. Boil both ingredients for 45 minutes so that the leaves release all their essence. While the water is still hot, pour it in the wet areas of the house, especially in the door and window frames. In this way the mosquitoes will not enter.
Eucalyptus repellent (II)
The essential oil of eucalyptus as well as having a very pleasant aroma, is effective to ensure that the mosquitoes do not approach. Apply it to the skin and repeat every 6 hours. You can mix it with thyme, puleggio, basil or lemon oils to increase the effects.
Repellent with chamomile
You will need 250 grams of chamomile flowers and water (the amount needed). Wash the chamomile well and rub it on the skin. Repeat every two hours.
Repellent with almonds
It is the most recommended for babies and children because it is very delicate and effective. In fact, children are often prey to mosquitoes because they can not defend themselves. The ingredients are: 100 ml of almond oil, 20 drops of geranium essence and 20 drops of basil essence. Mix the three things and apply them all on the skin.
You will need 100 ml of lavender oil and a moistening gel for the skin. Mix the two ingredients and apply them directly. It will give you a feeling of freshness and will protect you from mosquitoes.
Lemongrass is considered one of the most effective elements to keep mosquitoes and other insects away. You can use both your oil and a spray, a lotion, wipes or flavored candles, so as to prevent mosquitoes from disturbing you and your families.
Repellent based on oil and alcohol
Chemicals can be hazardous to your health and that of your families, which is why natural repellents are the best option. Furthermore, it is proven that they are the most effective and, above all, the cheapest. You can prepare an effective recipe against mosquitoes, flies, fleas and ticks with the following ingredients:
- 10 to 25 drops of essential oil (cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus, lemongrass or castor)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (olive, sunflower or corn) or 2 tablespoons of alcohol (at 96 °, eg vodka)
Mix the two oils you have chosen, or an essential oil with alcohol. Rub directly on the skin and clothes. Be very careful not to let it come in contact with eyes, nose and mouth. Apply every hour, especially if you have swum or exercised or if you have sweated a lot in the sun. Keep the bottle with the repellent in a dark and cool place. To increase its consistency you can also add aloe vera gel.
More tips to keep mosquitoes away
- Put various mint leaves in the garden, on the balcony or inside the house. You can crumble them together with a few drops of water to give off a stronger odor.
- Always keep a fresh basil plant (you can grow it without problems in a small pot) and place it in the rooms so that the mosquitoes do not enter. This aromatic plant is not liked by insects, so it is also used in gardens as a natural “fence”.
- Put a little water and some cloves of garlic in a bowl. Leave to macerate for a few hours and pour the water into a spray container. Then spray the entire house, especially on the curtains and on the frames of doors and windows. The sulfur of garlic repels mosquitoes, flies, ticks and fleas.
- Consume large amounts of vitamin C every day, especially if you are outdoors. This vitamin is soluble and does not accumulate in the body, so you will produce more sweat, hated by mosquitoes.
- Place a glass of vinegar near the window. Its strong smell will cause no insect to approach.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin B, such as lentils, almonds and champignon mushrooms.
- Use twigs of spike or basil as “scare mosquitoes”.
- Other oils that can be used to repel the mosquitoes are castor, rosemary, pine, verbena, thyme, clove, geranium and cedar.